Friday, November 20, 2009

Aspartame and Urge Incontinence

This is not something I find easy to write about but I feel it is so important I am going to do it anyway.

For over 30 years since I had my last babies I have suffered from urge incontinence. When I need to go and need to go now and am not able to wait! I assumed there was nothing much that could be done. When it got really bad I went to the Dr to ask for help and to see if I had a bladder infection but the test came back negative so I soldiered on always knowing where the next loos were. The situation seemed to get worse when I was on one of my frequent diets and drinking more water than usual. I try to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.

A week ago I decided to see if it would help me to get my cravings and over eating in the afternoons under control by given up all sweetened food and drink. So no more diet cokes, no lowcal fruit flavoured drinks and no canderal added to yogurts or baked foods.

In a totally unexpected fashion I found a few days later that my urgency to get to a loo was gone. Completely and utterly gone. I could go for a walk and not have to rush back the last few yards. I could jump up and down and do star jumps. Something I have not been able to do for years.

I looked up on the internet for Diet cokes and incontinence and Aspartame and incontinence and have found that many people have had the same result.

I love my sweet tasting drinks and foods but after this result will never go back to having them again. It is just not worth the stress. I hope this entry hopes other women and men suffering from the same problem to find an answer once and for all.

No comments: