Thursday, August 20, 2020

K2 vitamin and keto dieting

 Having downloaded the book Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox I decided to see what the effect would be to increase my dose of K2.

I have been taking 1 tablet of Vit K2 mk7 for the past 6mths. That is a daily dose of 200. The suggestion in the book was to take the oil based supplement. I have ordered this and plan to take 1 tablet and 1 oil capsule a day when the order arrives. In the meantime 3 days ago I started taking 2 of the tablets.

From my reading it seems that Weston Price who wrote the book about the teeth and diets of remote tribes compared to the teeth and diets of the West where grains had replaced a lot of the traditional foods, found a missing substance in western diets.

He identified a vitamin X that was present in the traditional diets and absent in the western diets. 

It has now been shown that this Vitamin X is Vitamin K2. Not vitamin K1 which is linked to blood clotting.

Vitamin K2 is not found in many foods. It is high in natto which is a fermented soya bean dish served in Japan. Also in butter, cream and cheese from grass fed cows and egg yolks from hens allowed to free range. Also present in liver pate and animal liver. ( Not foods that a low fat dieter is likely to consume!)

Many of our modern day food sources now have very little K2 or we have been told not to eat these foods. Butter and fats went off the menu years ago and are only just being reintroduced. In the meantime many cows are now grain fed rather than grass fed so have very little Vit K2. Liver is not eaten regularly in many households.

I was interested in the many benefits of consuming adequate levels of K2 from supplements.

Improved insulin resistance.

better glucose control and helps with T2 diabetes

Moves calcium from the heart arteries into the bone

Improves bone density

Works with calcium and Vitamin D to improve bones

Better jaw development in the fetus

Helps with rheumatoid arthritis

For brain and neurological health, may protect against dementia

For cancer prevention

For fertility both men and women

I was particularly interested in the insulin resistance improvement.

The book claimed that vitamin K2 would make insulin more efficient so less insulin  would be produced by the pancreas.

' The second highest concentration of vitamin K2 is in the pancreas. Only 1 week of Vit K2 supplements in healthy nondiabetic trial participants significantly reduces their 2 hr post meal insulin level by half.'

This was very interesting to me. If I could stop the 2 hr craving sessions after a meal I would feel more in control of my eating and less likely to suffer binge eating. Whether micro binge or macro binge.

So I thought this worth a try. To see if I could control my insulin/glucose levels better during the day.

So far I am pleased with the results. Only 3 days now and counting but certainly the urge to drift towards the fridge has not occurred on any afternoon. It did a bit last night and I made a decaf coffee with cream instead of eating something.

The proof for me that this is working is whether I can finally get control of my afternoon and evening urge to eat after a meal, and that the weight starts dropping again.

Am keen to finally get below that 80kg mark.

Would I recommend others to try this approach? As Prof Tim Noakes says we are an experiment of one. So give it a try and see how your body reacts.

I have ordered the Weston Price book and also a hard copy of Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox.

I now have an email set up if anyone wants to make contact.

ketomichelle2020@gmail.com



No comments: