Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Syndrome X

I am pretty sure I have syndrome X. I have been doing some research and looking in my magazines. All the clues were there but I missed them.

Syndrome X is an over the top response to a sugar rush. The body thinks whoopy sugar and produces insulin to control the level in the blood but it produces more than necessary so the sugar is gone but the insulin is still floating round the system and you get an almost uncontrollable urge to eat more bread sugarary foods a couple of hours later and the whole process starts again.

Some of the symptoms are feeling sleepy after eating hi carb food, binging on hi carb food and finding it almost impossible to lose weight and rapid weight gain after you come off the controlled eating and back to 'normal'.

I have never given up bread and jam/marmalade while on a diet. Most of the diets I have tried have been 2 slices of toast for breakfast. Salad sandwich for lunch. With the end result that I am fighting my body the whole day for more sugar. It wants it and I am trying to resist.

Some of the recommendations are for brown bread only. I dont think we get the brown bread they are talking about in Africa. Heavy in seeds and low gi. So I have cut bread completely out of my diet. Something my mother always did when she wanted to drop a few pounds. Possibly she has syndrome X as well.

I have not given up potatoes and have those for my main meal every day and then what is left over goes into a soup for the evening. For breakfast and having bran and museli cereal. So still getting the good carbs. Have rice once a week in place of potatoes.

Am feeling so much better. Got lots more energy.

We went away for the weekend and I was worried about not coping on the diet while I was away. We did our own breakfasts. I had scrambled egg and baked beans. Husband had cereal and toast with his.

Lunch we had in the restaurant so I asked for grilled fish and baked potato with no butter. Evening I had butternut soup without the roll. Came back after 3 days and lost another 3/4 of a pound so felt in control.

Apparantly 50% of the people with syndrome X are likely to develop type 2 diabeties later in life so hopefully I have avoided that if I stay off the bread for life. Seems easy so far. No hunger pains and feel I am eating well. If I think of the bread I used to eat 4 to 6 slices a day plus jam or marmalade that is 5 to 600 calories so can eat a lot of vegetables to make up the difference and still lose weight.

Got 2 days away in Lusaka so hope I can continue the good work. Feeling lighter and clothes are looser. Eleven and a half pounds off so far.

No comments: