Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Milk v Cream

I have never been one to drink a glass of cold milk, I gave that up as I grew up. I have always hated warm milk since the school days when they thawed the milk bottles near the school radiator after they had frozen in the winter. In those days all primary children had a third of a pint at break time.

But I do drink a lot of coffee and each mug used to get a splash of milk in it. Not milky coffee just enough to darken it a bit and make it less bitter.

The number of mugs might vary but would usually be between 4 to 6 in the morning including one with breakfast and one mid morning. The mid morning one would be the last for the day and I would have a cup of tea around 3.30 also with milk.

It was suggested on my Banting Buddies group that I try giving up milk and substitute cream instead. Some times I had to have black coffee as cream was not available. Dont like black coffee!

In the 2 weeks I have been having cream I have lost 1.6kg. In the 2 weeks before that I lost 1.5kg.

So not a great difference.

What I have been doing is using 1 tspn of cream to do 2 mugs. So when I have my 4 mugs in the morning only 2 get cream and I top up with coffee and boiling water.

I have also been putting a sprinkle of cinnamon on top which helps with the IR and makes it taste nice.

If I can continue to buy cream I will carry on with using cream. I had to make butter the other day as some of the cream I bought went sour as I did not use it in time.

Dont think cream freezes very well. If I could freeze in small amounts that would mean I would always have available.

I find if I have the coffee cream combo in the morning instead of the coffee milk combo I dont feel so hungry mid late morning. Thats not usually a binge time for me so the hunger does not worry me.

But interesting to note the difference.

No comments: