Saturday, December 02, 2017

Why did I not try LCHF Banting before?

Now that I have finally got into the groove and figured out what I can eat and still see the scale moving downwards, I am trying to figure out why I did not put the whole thing together before.

I have had all the books. New Atkins, New you. Why we get fat and what to do about it. Plus many many more.

I think the trouble was I was still in the calorie mode mind set. Right you want to lose weight? Then cut back on the calories. Those bits of fat recommended in the books? Why not leave it out and the weight loss will be much quicker and you can go back to 'normal' eating.

I think that was the way I was thinking. I did not join up the dots and realise that the good fat is a critical part of the LCHF banting way of eating. Without the fat, the insulin resistance does not go away and every day is a struggle to keep the calories low and see the scale go down.

Eating the fat in the diet just stops the afternoon need to eat something and after a few days it simply becomes a habit to eat lunch and then have no food till dinner time.

If someone had told me that 5 mths ago I would not have believed it possible. After 65 yrs of living in this body I thought it had no surprises for me. But I was wrong.

What I have also come to realize is that this is not just a diet to lose the weight and then go back to normal eating. If I do that the insulin problem and the weight will come screaming back. I never want that to happen again.

So I am finding a new way of eating which is going to be permanent. Bread for me is off the menu. I might try and make some low carb bread next year sometime. But if I find my addictions coming back then I will have to drop it again.

I dont miss the rice or potatoes. I do have to make sure I have some cauli mash ready in little freezer containers so I can heat that up to have with my dinner. So I do need to prepare a head of time.

I have some egg muffins always in the fridge to heat up for lunch with a salad. I thought I would need them as snacks but the need to snack has stopped Glory be.

In 4 mths I have lost 14kg or 30lbs and dropped 4 jeans sizes.

Thats good enough proof for me that this has finally fixed something in me I did not know was broken.


No comments: