Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Woman's body attacked by own Insulin

That would be a good newspaper headline.

Its not sensational, its true.

So many of us have no idea what is going on in our own bodies.

As children we arrive at the table and eat what is put in front of us. I was a post war baby and somewhere is my ration book.

Food was not to be wasted. We learnt to clear everything on our plate.

At school we had puddings every day and loved my mashed potatoes. Always went up for seconds.

My obesity started in childhood. I had cravings for sugar and chocolate. I would buy a packet of sweets with my pocket money and finish them. I could never save some for later and also had a great problem with sharing my food.

Like many long term obese people I can remember my weight at significant points in my life.

I trained in Home Economics so was always surrounded by food and was nearly always well above any normal weight.

Sizes 18, 20 ,22 came and went and at my heaviest I was a size 24.

My life contracted to things I felt comfortable doing and taking part in.

The first time my insulin was measured was 2 yrs ago and it was 24 fasting.

Over the course of the 2 yrs I have reduced it to 14, keen to see what is the number at the next medical next month.

I know that the high insulin caused my cravings and binging and lack of will power.

I failed to even get through one day without a struggle.

Since starting this eating plan I have reduced my weight by 9kg in 3 mths. I no longer have any inappropriate cravings in the afternoons. I hardly snack at all.

For me it is a 2 phase approach.

One give up breakfast. I was never hungry that early in the morning, I ate because I thought it would stop me feeling hungry later in the day, but in fact the opposite is true for me.

Second keep carbs to under 25grms a day.

Then sit back and watch the scale scroll down.

No comments: